Making calls, using pre-paid telephone and sim cards, and internet in the city.
Local, National, and International calls
- The international country code for Argentina is 54 and the city code for Buenos Aires is 11. If you are calling Buenos Aires from outside the country, dial 0054 11 and then the telephone number if it is a fixed-line. For mobile phones, dial 0054 9 11.
- Telephone numbers in Buenos Aires contain 8 digits. Local calls don’t require a prefix unless you are calling a mobile phone, in which case you should add the prefix 15 and then type the 8 digit number.
- For calls from Buenos Aires to elsewhere in Argentina, please dial 0, then the regional code and the telephone number. For international calls from Buenos Aires, please dial 00 before the international number.
Prepaid telephone cards and sim cards
- Prepaid telephone cards are available from many tobacconists and newsagents (‘kiosks’), or call-shops/cyber cafes (‘locutions’). Locutorios can be found all over the city, and offer telephone booths and internet access.
- Local sim cards/chips for your mobile phone can be bought from mobile phone stores and from many kiosks. The leading telephone networks in Buenos Aires are Personal, Movistar, and Claro.
- Buenos Aires has over 250 free wifi hotspots in the city, including on the subtle and Metrobus transport networks. The BA WiFi app allows users to locate hotspots from their smartphones.
- Many bars, cafes, and restaurants have free wifi for clients.